Saturday, May 30, 2009

Jam & Jazz @ Chicago

me: Good Morning Mam.
She(receptionist): Good morning. How may I help you?
me: I am hear for an interview with XLRI business school of India. Could you... (cut short)
she: Catch the elevator on your right, go to third floor and you'll find the place.
me: Oh thanks!
she: And yes, All the Best to you!
me: Thanks mam.


It was 12:30hrs on Saturday, 21st March at Loyola Business School, Chicago when I sat down for a tea and informal chat with my interviewers. My interview for XLRI was scheduled at 13:20hrs. I had reached there early and, with great hospitality, called in for a tea and general chat (an ‘Adda’ in bong terms) with my interviewers themselves. At 13:20 I was in the interview room for my 17 min interview with the same people. Well what a relief, I had already broken the ice during the chat. Interview was a breeze. My gut feeling said I had 80-90% chance.

Gaurav was patiently waiting outside when I came out. He had a smiling face. I wished him the best (it did work) and rushed to the Subway for my brunch. It was the first time in Chicago and my friend from Univ of Notre Dame was waiting in a coffee shop a couple of streets across to take me around. We chilled around for sometime in downtown, drove down to a fish shop to buy some Bangladeshi frozen fish, walked in the bone-shivering winds on the banks of Lake Michigan, had a bird’s eye-view of Chicago from the 94th floor of the Hancock Observatory, debated on spending the night at a Jazz club (Chicago is also known for its Jazz music) but time concerns didn’t allow and then drove again to Notre Dame Univ. over the night. Yes, Mendoza School of Business in Notre Dame was on my applications list initially, but at last I did not apply for various reasons. Its one of the most beautiful campuses I’ve seen till now, but am sure XLRI’s would be more stimulating.

Given below is a chart showing the number of students in the GMP 2010 batch as of data collected till May 29, 2009. We have 10 from USA and it’s not the final count. Come to think of it, XLRI conducted a face to face interview at an international location to pull in around 14% of the batch. The school’s mgmt insisted on a personal interview instead of a telephonic one, which goes a long way to show its seriousness for the GMP programme. Moreover personal interviews I believe help avoid mistakes during a selection process for both parties at the interview table, unlike telephonic calls.
In my mind only IIM A & C conduct personal interviews in international locations. Said that, Mendoza is off my mind now….. XLRI is in!


1 comment:

  1. Outfit Events also decided that we needed to up the ante at Chicago events by going the extra mile for our crowds.

    ReplyDelete