Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My Memorable Badminton Match in IIML

This post is about my experiences in the badminton match against IIML in their campus in Lucknow.

About the Tournament:-

It was in a typical Davis Cup Style where both the teams XLRI and IIML competed for 5 games 3 singles and 2 doubles. Both teams had their own strategy of mixing and ordering their players.


Setting the Stage:-
IIML was leading by 2-1 , as XLRI lost their two matches 1 singles and 1 Doubles. The moral was down both because we thought we had the best badminton team and also one of our best player lost in the singles match.

About the Crowd(boisterous, Bhaiyya crowd, XL ki kudiyan):-

The shady badminton court in the grassland of IIML was eye sore in the IIML campus, but it was jampacked, which I think might be due to following reasons:-

(1) It was the probably the 2nd event happening in the Men category.

(2) IIML crowd was there because there Sportscomm secretary was part of the badminton team and he was indeed a popular guy.

(3) XL crowd was there because XL had the good badminton team and XL had chances of winning the tournament.

My Opponent Naveen:- He was definately the favourite among the crowd . I saw him practicing before the match and his confidence exuded that he is all game to play with anyone. You can easily identify a good player by the way they practice.

My Game Plan for Single:-

(1) Make the person move through out the court , by dropping in front and then slicing it to back.

(2) Restrain on smashes.

(3) Reduce Unforced errors, which i tend to do lot.



THE Match :-

There were around 300 + people as IIML was thinking to square it off and XL was trying save its pride by losing easily.

First set (0-1)

The first set was disaster for me, as i was literally shaking when i was about to serve. The good thing was I was aware of it that "stage fear" has been part of me since childhood and I just need to play a little to get the rythm. I did several unforced errors in the game, did not serve the shuttle up in the air and my opponent took advantage of each of it and won the first set convincingly as 21-14. Though I lost , I knew it was not because he played better.



Sledging:-

It was there between each and every point and the vocabulary seems to be never ending for UP bhaiyya or from our XL guys and gals. There were literally scuffle among both the XLErs and IIML crowd and game was atleast stopped 7-8 times. I think I was competent enough to understand the worst abusive language ,but I was wrong and I quit to the crowd. This blog would be rated A or infact not even published if the details are entered.



Second Set(0-2):- I managed to get a 6-1 lead in this set in the start due to other players unforced errors . But eventually he squared it off in 21-19.



Third Set(1-2):- I was under pressure so as to not loose in straight sets as I was 2-0 down in the 5 setter , However, I knew I had almost won the last set. The XL team was a source of enthusiams and motivation for me and they supported my whole heartedly.

I again managed to get the lead of 5-2 and I just needed to sustain it. By this time I was playing my usual self , going for a rally and then culminating it with a smash. The game was on

as both of us went in for rally and there were less errors. After every point a look in opponent eyes told me that he was defeatable. I sustained the lead and managed to won my 1st game

with a good margin of 21-13. Finally , some cheers in XL camp.



4th Set(2-2):- I didnt knew how much glucose i consume that day. By this time, I was totally in oblivion to surrounding. I was enjoying each and every point earned and cheer from the XL crowd. The IIML bhaiyya crowd got active and started personalised sledging against my name. I was just enjoying it and I didnt even thought with a pinch of salt.This set was the longest and the game stopped several times , mainly due to opponent claiming that I was carrying the shuttle, which was ridiculous as carrying in badminton is a rare event.

I again managed to get the lead and i knew i just have to make him play. I was at my best , My service got improved with each serve as high it could be in the back court and for for every return of the the serve , I was smashing it. My aspiration changed from giving a good fight to make it a 5th setter game of which i always admired Federer ,although in a different game of Tennis. I won this set 21-18. And Now the attention shifted from me to Naveen and he was surrounded by all IIML guys , who were giving him motivational doses.



5th Set(3-2):- In between the set break, I wondered whether there are training session for 5 setters. The game is entirely transformed from hitting smashes to endurance and fitness. All drenched in sweat , the only inspiration for me was seeing my opponent who was also in such a sweaty state and the XL support. I was gulping huge doses of glucose and water to keep my self hydrated.

I changed my strategy a little bit this time:-

(1) I thought of playing power game to win as early as possible and avoid tie-braker.

However, this change costed me as i hit many a times in net and eventually i gave him the lead and he was leading by 4-1.

I went back to basics and again went for rally and quickly equalise it. One thing which i realise is it gives you tremendous confidence when you win a rally . I stick with this game plan and took the lead with points 8-5.His team asked him to took the break as he was drifting away from the basics.

He came back strongly and equalise at 10-10. I puzzled him with some power smashes and then it became very easy for me.He did lot of unforced errors and I eventually won the game 21-17.



And then it was followed with huge cheer from XL group and i enjoyed every bit of it.



Learning from this game:-

(1) Stay there , Be there , whatever it takes to:- When you start playing , there are lot of clutter in your mind like team pressure, personal motives, audience pressure etc. Every thing vanished after a while and all it matters is to play a good game.





















7 comments:

  1. It was a really amazingly played game Sanjeev..Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. though I wasnt present there in person, but by the description transcribed here, I have lived the match. Good job Sanjeev !!!.
    Did u play the final match ? I wish that football match had not injured you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. brilliantly written...though i was thr n i kno the sensation cant be captured in any way rite now..but u played beautifully...all cheers..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! does anyone have a recording of this?? your narration is thrilling, the game must have been even more. Awesome play Sanjeev!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omkar, If this were recorded, I might have not won that match :).

    ReplyDelete